*Composed of tungsten powder and resin, formed into sheet by a special method of mixing
*Based on powder metallurgical technology accumulated for long years
Features of Nittan Tungsten Sheet
* Radiation shielding effect equivalent to that of lead (For example, tungsten sheet of 1.2mm thickness has the same radiation shielding effect as that of lead plate of 1.3mm thickness: 1.3mm lead equivalent.)
* Price is less than half that of tungsten alloy having the same radiation shielding effect.
* Machinability: Easier to machine than lead, that is, the sheet can be cut or holed with home-use scissors, formed into shape having any curved surface; softer than lead, retractable, foldable, and durable to repeated bending.
* Easy to handle (No risk of pollution by lead)
* Excellent thermal plasticity, possible to form into shape having cylindrical or complicated curved surface
Problems on Tungsten Alloy (for use under high radiation level)
1.Expensive, 2.Hard to machine → Application is limited.
Problems on Conventional Tungsten Sheet
There were some products of this kind in the market, however, they could not replace lead because their density was low (9 or less). Thus, the same radiation shielding effect as that of lead could not be obtained.
• X-ray inspection device for testing soldered joint
• X-ray inspection device for medical use
• Radiation shielding material and radiation-protective equipment for nuclear facilities
• Shielding material for radiation-protective gears for general use (such as an apron for X-ray operator)
• Consumer-use products such as raw material for vibration suppression, weight, acoustic (audio) isolation, etc. because of characteristics of enabling 3-dimensional forming
• γ-ray shielding material for nuclear reactor piping, as a substitute for lead fiber mat
250mm x 250mm x 1-3mm thickness
Also available as a mat of glass fiber bag including 250mm x 1000mm jointed sheets (Substitute for lead fiber mat)